Ideally, you will have a magnifying mirror in your bathroom, or other brightly lit area, set up at eye level, as measured when you are in the shoes you normally wear around the home.
If you are unable to find a strong magnifying mirror that can attach to a wall and has a telescoping arm, so you can bring the mirror close to your face, you can set up your own stand with a magnifying mirror. This allows hands-free, magnified viewing of your eyes.
You will need:
- 1 sturdy plastic jar or other container (Avoid plastic if you’re setting up in the bathroom.)
- 1 bag of dried beans or rice, or more if necessary.
- 3-4 feet of a 1-inch wide stick or lathe material
- 6-inch length of stick
- 2 small nails, and a hammer
- 1 small picture hanging hook
- 2 magnifying mirrors, with at least 15x magnification, although 10x is also good. One mirror should have a hinged base.
- Fill the jar with the beans or rice and place it on the counter where you plant to use it most often.
- Place one end of the stick into the jar. The rice or beans should hold the stick in place.
- Hold one mirror at eye level against the stick. (Be sure you are wearing the shoes you will normally wear when you determine eye level). Locate where you will need to hammer the nail so that the mirror will hang at eye level. Hammer the nail and picture hanger.
- Nail the 6-inch stick about 8 inches above the picture hook.
- Hang one mirror from the picture hanger.
- Lay the mirror with the hinged base against the stick at the top so that the mirror is almost horizontal. You will use this horizontal mirror when you look up to instill eye drops or irrigate your eyes.